As I struggle to write the first chapter of my PhD, the doubt that most assails me is whether I am saying something new. Even though I realize that knowledge advances in tiny increments, and anything that I write, someone else would have written something that to the casual observer looks exactly the same. In quantitative research, you can distinguish your research from the data and the statistical methods you use. In qualitative research, it is more difficult to distinguish your research, unless, for instance, you are doing an ethnography.
The need to make an original contribution and not just play with words can be a excellent spur to action. And, it can also be stressful because one has to remember that research is messy, research is about pushing the boundaries of knowledge even if its just infinetesimally. So I am trying to enjoy the ride, keeping in mind that writing is what I like to do best.
Another spur to action is envy. In the past few days, two people I know but wouldn't call friends have experienced success.That made me jealous, especially since I don't think their work is anything to shout home about. At least I'm not fighting my tendency to get jealous any more.
No comments:
Post a Comment