Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Ahead of D-Day

Tomorrow is the result of national elections in India, a country where I have spent most of my 33 and-a-half year, but where I don't want to live again. Sometimes you feel closer to a place when you are away from it. When I was in India, I was mostly too preoccupied navigating the traffic, noise, crowds and general craziness too care much about what was happening to the country, except for the time when India and Paksitan were on the brink of conflict. From a distance, all the trivialities vanish from view, and I only see the big developments. What happens in the elections tomorrow is unlikely to affect my life in any meaningful way. I have friends and family in India, of course, and I might have to move back out even if I don't want to. But, none of my friends and family are likely to fall foul of this regime unless India becomes a failed state. My outrage at the current right-wing fascist government is not even expressed on Twitter. All I do is silently fume. If only we were pushed to action when we got outraged. But, India is in my bones--the good bits, the many bad bits and everything in between. It will always occupy a part of my spiritual space whether I like it or not. And, my heart will sink if tomorrow heralds five more years of the current government.

No comments: