I always thought I would be a good teacher, but now I am not so sure. I am still confident that I would be a good lecturer--I'm good at breaking down complex concepts into more digestible bits as well as structuring content so that it flows smoothly. But there is so much to being a good teacher than explaining stuff to students. Getting students to engage with the class is a bigger challenge and I am not sure I do a good job. I have also realized that I do a lot of teaching in tutorials, which is probably not the point of tutorials. I am not entirely sure what the point of tutorials is but I am sure it is not meant to be a mini-lecture. A lecture is a monologue whereas a tutorial is ideally supposed to be a dialogue among students mediated by the tutor. When you lecture, you push the students to understand a concept from your perspective rather than encouraging them to think critically.
Today, I filled in for someone who was filling in for my supervisor, and I struggled. I realized I hadn't even noticed that the two questions of the tutorial were near-identical. I realized it was a discussion-oriented tutorial but I didn't do a good job of steering the discussion. I tried asking them a few questions but that seemed to confuse them even more. Since it was a topic I wasn't fully familiar with, I was on shaky ground as it is. And, to be honest, I was not adequately prepared for the tutorial. I turned the last bit of the tutorial into a mini-lecture and I was making up the lecture on the fly. Which is possibly fine for a seasoned hand, but as a novice, I struggled. I don't know if the students noticed my stumbles, but I know I did. I should have done more, although I would have had to do a lot to be prepared as it is a new topic for me.
I have great respect for courses that push students to think critically, because in economics it is so much easier to teach formal and tidy mainstream economics rather than its alternatives.
No comments:
Post a Comment