Monday, October 29, 2018

Shorter Days

Today was the first working day after daylight savings ended, and it felt weird. It was dark well before I finished teaching my tutorial at 5:45 pm and I had to cycle through two parks while keeping my eyes peeled for dogs and pedestrians.When I reached home and sat down with a cup of tea while chatting to my housemate, a lethargy came swiftly over me. I thought I would enjoy the darkness and slower pace of winter evenings, but the transition is still discombobulating. I thought a yoga session would perk me up, but today was one of those rare days when yoga did nothing for me. With the shorter days, I realize I will have to be more productive during the day unless I want to cycle back in the pitch dark every night. While I love the dark, it is too unsafe to ride my cycle without a light, and that beats the purpose.
I am still not used to being in a place with changing seasons. The days go from being too short in winter to being too long in the summer very quickly and the intervening period when days and nights are well balanced is woefully short. But at least I sleep better in the winters. Last summer was particularly bad, not least because of the tumultous event in my personal life.

No comments: