When I was battling my demons, one of my biggest struggles was how to keep myself occupied. Friends and family would keep telling me that working would lift me out of the morass. I agreed, noting that my issues had surfaced during a long period of idleness. But, my boredom and my depression fed off each other lustily and I found it very difficult to break that cycle.
It was only after returning to my studies in England did boredom finally stop being an arch-enemy. I got busy with work, and then super-busy for few months, and although my workload has leveled off in recent months, there is still a lot to do.
I can't imagine how I would have coped with the events of the past two months if I didn't have a lot to do. I wouldn't describe my personal life or professional life at the moment as rocky, more like challenging. But I find myself able to focus well at work and be quite productive. I used to think that writing can only be coaxed out not forced out. But, I do find myself forcing it out and it seems to be working. You can romanticize the research process all you want, but at the end of the day much of it is about sitting at your computer long enough. I suppose pouring yourself into work is a time-honoured way to distract yourself from personal issues.
No comments:
Post a Comment