Wednesday, July 18, 2018

PhD progressing

Just when I was having a listless day, with the thought of two horrible dog-owners suing me swimming in and out of my head at regular intervals, I got a piece of good news. I received my PhD progression report which said that I will be allowed to progress. The specific feedback is along expected lines, and the general feedback is more positive than I had imagined.
I wonder whether I have been unfair to the examiners in my mind. Yes, we have fundamental differences and we argued over them, but they didn't use those differences to stop me from progressing. They showed a generosity of spirit that I was unwilling to offer them. Maybe it was a mistake to pick them. But I didn't pay for that mistake.
I feel a little silly for being so touchy about their feedback and throwing a mini-fit. In my defense, I don't  have the  support of a community to fall back on when I am attacked. I feel intellectually isolated, so I am vulnerable to attacks which make my research seem like bull shit.

No comments: