Monday, July 23, 2018

Leisure Expectations

I didn't blog over the weekend because I was writing a blog on my summer school experience and decided that I had had enough of reflecting. I don't have a deadline to hand it in but thought since it  was a slow weekend, why not get on it? I even went into university yesterday as I had left my summer school notes there. The university was mostly deserted and I was expecting to have the  PhD room to myself, but that was not to be.  Two of  my new colleagues were there and I learnt that they come in every weekend. It is perfectly understandable as one of them is in his final year and the other has  a full-time summer  job which keeps her busy during the week. Also, most of us international PhD students don't really have a social life or any life outside the university. Neither are there any cultural expectations that we must fill our weekends with leisurely activities. Working on holidays is not seen as an unhealthy habit.
On the other hand, most of the British people I know have calendars filled weeks in advance. If someone asks me if I am free, I could literally ask them to pick any  day of the week to make a plan,  except for Yoga Wednesdays. The people here go around with black diaries that govern their schedules. Few people in India makes plans such far in advance.

No comments: