Rant Warning
God, what a day! I feel physically and mentally exhausted. Today
was supposed to be the sweet culmination of two-and-a-half months of slogging.
It didn’t quite work out that way. I had high hopes of my PhD progression viva. I
didn’t expect the examiners to lavish praises on my progression report
(although that would have been welcome) but I did expect some thought-provoking
constructive feedback. Instead, they dismissed my ideas and tried to convince
me to radically change my approach. If I were to follow their suggestions I
would be doing a different PhD. They didn’t really engage with or critique my
work, but dismissed it outright. I suppose either my PhD will have to change or
my examiners will have to change and at this stage I can’t figure out which one it will be.
In hindsight, the signs were there all along. Their praise
for my presentation yesterday seemed half-hearted.
I am going way off the
beaten path in my PhD, so there is always the fear that what I am doing is total nonsense. So, outright dismissals of my work always hurts, especially from
heterodox economists who one expects to be sympathetic. Of course, I don’t
expect them to pull their punches for the sake of my ego. But, in the social sciences, epistemology (ways of knowing) and ontology (nature of reality) matters so much. A brilliant piece of work can seem
like nonsense if you don’t accept its ontological and epistemological premise. The
question of rigorous critique doesn’t arise.
I think I have a keener appreciation of these issues after
doing the Ways of Knowing course. It helps partly explain the strong resistance
once feels towards certain ideas and theories. Of course, ontology and
epistemology don’t extend to emotions.
I still think it is worthwhile to engage in discussions with
people who come from different ontological and epistemological positions. But,
giving them power over your work is probably not a great idea. Today, I didn’t get
any questions on my key concepts. I spent most of my time arguing why I didn’t want
to do what they were suggesting. I admit I didn’t cover myself in glory, but I
am at the early stages of my PhD. And, in any case, they didn’t seem very
receptive to my ideas.
Maybe I am being oversensitive and need to handle criticism
better. People are not always going to ask questions I like or would prefer to
answer. Maybe it is a bit of both. I need to take criticism better and choose
different examiners.
I am very passionate about what I do, which is probably why this
is affecting me so much. Ah well, I guess there are much worse problems to
have.
No comments:
Post a Comment