Friday, June 1, 2018

Gratitude

This evening, I was looking through my yoga downloads wondering which video to do when I came across a gratitude practice. I immediately knew that was it. Last month was crazy. I had a lot to do--intellectual labour, emotional labour as some problems cropped up in my personal life as well as loads of running around to sort out  the logistics of my upcoming trips. I had to complete my paper, write up my progression report, hustle for my visa, deal with losing my wallet, dealing with being kicked out of our PhD room and also with a virtual stalker. But everything turned out fine and while my old friend, anxiety, called a couple of times, I never really reached the brink of despair.
Not only am I grateful for my good fortune but I am also grateful that I am learning to be kinder to myself when it feels like fate is turning against me or when I see the brink approaching.  Life is difficult, beset with problems, and we all have expectations and obligations--of ourselves and other people (and vice versa)--which we can't just wish away. But, I feel like we all can tinker with our lives to make them slightly easier. And, when the shit is raining down from the skies, a slight respite can be the difference between coping and throwing in the towel.
I am  trying to convince a friend that while it is difficult to control our thoughts, it is easier to identify our triggers/damaging behaviours and keep away from them. Of course, easier said than done and it requires self-discipline and supportive friends/family. But, with practice, we get better at it.
Another friend asked how I cope with my  wobbles. I told her yoga and blogging. I don't feel great after yoga session or after writing every blog. But, instant gratification is hardly the  goal here, and on balance, I can confidently say that my life is significantly better for having yoga and writing in it.
Has this blog become too preachy, sanctimonious even? I hope me talking about my own experiences makes my sermonizing more palatable. Or maybe it is making me seem even more self-obsessed. Well, in that case it is a good thing that I have such few readers :-)

No comments: