I was cycling back from uni this evening and passing through the park next to my house when a dog jumped in front of me. I braked but couldn't avoid hitting him and the impact or the fright tossed the blasted critter into the small river that runs along the path. The two women who were walking it starting screaming and swearing at me, and we had a spirited screaming match for a few minutes. The dog managed to clamber out of the river unaided, so I suppose he was okay. But, it could have been much much worse.
I suppose if I had at least fallen from my cycle, I wouldn't have borne the brunt of the dog owners' wrath. In hindsight, I can understand their reaction. Their dog could have been badly injured. I was quite shaken up as well and reacted to their rage with rage of my own. I am relieved that I wasn't abusive and glad the conversation didn't take a racial turn. I am not proud of the way I reacted but it happened so fast that I had no time to think.
I don't know who is at fault although I could have been more careful by ringing the bell. It is unrealistic to expect middle-class owners with a heavy sense of entitlement to have their dogs on a tight leash in the park, just as it is unrealistic to expect cyclists to slow to a crawl every time they pass a dog. I guess cyclists just have to accept it and be the adults in the room. I guess the only thing I can do is use my bell more and slow down more while I pass dogs. I suppose I am going to assume that every dog I pass in the next few days is going to jump in front of my bike. As it happens, I lightly collided with a dog at the exact same point a couple of months ago. I realize that however careful I am, I could hit a dog again. The only thing I can do is to cover my backside by ringing my bell and going slower.
No comments:
Post a Comment