Thursday, January 18, 2018

Second coming

I arrived in England yesterday after a long exhausting journey which included having to repack my overweight carry-on bags twice at the check-in counter and being held up at immigration for my papers to be rechecked. But, in between, I had a seat with almost unlimited leg room and no neighbors by virtue of being wheelchair accessible.
Being back feels woefully familiar. English winters are as dreary as ever and I was welcomed with a storm. Not having a routine to jump back into or many friends make boredom and loneliness a real possibility. Settling-in chores are as tiresome as ever and things not going according to plan a source of unnatural anxiety. All these things had bothered me a good deal when I was last here. To add to that, I have to explain my absence from England and dodge quizzical looks.
But, something feels different too. Interactions, especially with strangers, feel less forced and awkward and I feel less self-conscious. Boredom and loneliness don't feel inevitable, permanent or debilitating. To be sure, there are moments of stress, anxiety, boredom, loneliness, frustration but also moments of happiness, satisfaction, contentment and laughter. And, while having to explain my absence is annoying, I don't feel ashamed.

No comments: