Friday, January 26, 2018

Ideologies as adjectives

During my Master's programme, I would frequently have arguments about politics and economics with a good friend. We were so apart on the political spectrum that, at the time, it seemed like a miracle that we were friends. It doesn't seem like a miracle anymore but more on that latter.
During our arguments, which were often heated, I would label his views and point out what, in my opinion, were ideological inconsistencies in his views. This would frustrate him no end. I would argue that ideological labels allowed one to penetrate to the core of a view or belief and examine it for logical consistency. Ideology, after all, shapes one's view of the world, or so I thought.
Despite my belief in ideology, I would struggle to identify with a single one. I was/am sympathetic towards socialism, but would hesitate to call myself one. Or a feminist, although I believe in equality of the sexes.
The events of the past two years, both in the world and in my personal life, have forced me to reconsider my views on ideology as a guiding principle of my life (it never was, but for a long time I believed it was). The latest incident that comes to mind is the scores of leftist academics and activists who have been exposed as serial sexual harassers in the #MeToo movement. It would be easy to dismiss them  as charlatans or hypocrites. But, is it possible that they were firm believers in their respective ideology while also using their power to sexually exploit women?And, if one were to be judgmental, who is not a hypocrite? Are the well-heeled social activists who call for the overthrow of capitalism while enjoying a lifestyle completely alien to the toiling masses, not hypocrites? I don't think so. Life is unpredictable and difficult and we all find our own ways to cope and find meaning in it. By virtue of being human, we frequently test or cross the boundaries of the beliefs or ideologies we claim to hold.
I  have started to think that it is more useful to think of identities derived from ideology in terms of adjectives rather than nouns. For eg., I would say I try to be feminist in my actions, rather than I am a feminist. Ideological beliefs, thus, become tendencies rather than constricting labels. This way, it becomes easier to come to terms with "ideological inconsistencies". For eg., how my uncle, who considers the U.S. State the biggest terrorist on earth, can simultaneously root for the homegrown fascist. Maybe we are all a bundle of often-conflicting tendencies, some strong, some weak, some useful, some harmful. Tendencies that have been shaped by nature, nurture and life experiences. It is up to us to recognize and nurture the tendencies that we find useful and try to let go of those that don't serve us and those around us.
My relationship with the "good friend" doesn't seem so puzzling any longer. Reducing someone to one aspect of their personality or one particular belief is pointless because one misses out on the  other stuff they have to offer. People are more than their political beliefs. We don't have to be ideological bedfellows to be good friends.

P.S. I hope I don't come  across as a fatalist, or, worse, apologist for the scum of the earth. I firmly believe in social justice and admire people who have dedicated their lives to it. All I am saying is there are many ways of contributing to the world other than activism and it is not for me to judge how someone else chooses to make their life meaningful. Of course, if your attempt to find meaning in your life hurts others, that is a BIG problem.

No comments: