I have been watching a series called Derry Girls, set in Northern Ireland during the Troubles. It is has three teenage girls as protagonists and is quite funny. The Troubles are barely referenced, they are no more than irksome dark clouds in the distance. A non-political film, I suppose. A few years ago, I would have thought the makers were trying to normalize England's bloody colonial adventure in its own backyard. By showing normal life during the Troubles, the makers were implying that the Troubles were not so bad as believed. For me, any film set in troubled times but without a strong political message was a cop-out.
Of course, I don't think so now. I think Derry Girls shows humans' innate desire to make the best of every situation. To live, love and laugh even when external circumstances are not conducive. Films that show people making the best of a situation are as important as films which show the effect of a bad situation on people or people's reaction to it. One human story is no less important than the other.
I remember another movie called 'Yanks; which showed young children in London during World War II cheering riotously when the air raid siren went off. For the children, it was an escape from school and the chance to revel in the mayhem around them. World War II also brought ample opportunities of adventure for Richmal Crompton's William and his friends.
I think any movie should be judged based on how it makes you feel while you are watching it, not after the movie, when you have canvassed various people and media before deciding on the most acceptable reaction. Does that cut out opportunity for reflecting on one's own problematic positions and proclivities? Maybe. But, life can be exhausting if you are trying to be perfect all the time, leading you to police your feelings. Seeing ourselves as a bundle of perpetual problems that have to be constantly worked on is not a very healthy approach to life.
Of course, I don't think so now. I think Derry Girls shows humans' innate desire to make the best of every situation. To live, love and laugh even when external circumstances are not conducive. Films that show people making the best of a situation are as important as films which show the effect of a bad situation on people or people's reaction to it. One human story is no less important than the other.
I remember another movie called 'Yanks; which showed young children in London during World War II cheering riotously when the air raid siren went off. For the children, it was an escape from school and the chance to revel in the mayhem around them. World War II also brought ample opportunities of adventure for Richmal Crompton's William and his friends.
I think any movie should be judged based on how it makes you feel while you are watching it, not after the movie, when you have canvassed various people and media before deciding on the most acceptable reaction. Does that cut out opportunity for reflecting on one's own problematic positions and proclivities? Maybe. But, life can be exhausting if you are trying to be perfect all the time, leading you to police your feelings. Seeing ourselves as a bundle of perpetual problems that have to be constantly worked on is not a very healthy approach to life.
No comments:
Post a Comment