Tuesday, June 4, 2024

India Election Results 2024

This is the happiest I have felt in months. I was girding myself for bad news coming out of India on election results day because I can't remember the last time good news came out of India. This election would decide whether India would continue to remain a secular republic or turn into a Hindu nationalist autocracy. And, despite stacking the odds heavily in his favour, Modi failed to win a majority. In a speech I gave at a Palestine rally today. I mentioned the result, adding that fascism is great at projecting power, but when the cracks begin to appear, it crumbles fast. I don't think anyone on the left is under nay illusions that Modi and his brand of fascism will go easily, but his aura is broken forever. Imagining Modi in a coalition government, where he wouldn't have absolute control and will be subject to the pushes and pulls of alliance partners is as difficult as imagining Hitler in a coalition government. As someone on twitter said, hope is more powerful than victory. This is the most hopeful I have felt about the future of India since the farmers' protest of 2020-21. 

No comments: