Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Scammers Vs Weirdos

 The most annoying people on property groups/websites are not the scammers, they are the weirdos. Scammers act rationally--they try to reel you in, and if they fail, they move on to the next target. Weirdos don't leave you alone. I had the weirdest interaction with a man on an FB group. So many red flags went up that I thought, "Surely, this cannot be a scammer, he must just be weird. Let me give him the benefit of the doubt." I am not going to bore you with the details of our interaction. I can't explain why I agreed to pay him $75 as an application fee. Let's just say people can wear you down with their persistence. And, my thinking was that surely no one is going to expend so much energy to scam me off $75. I half expected him to disappear as soon as he got the money, and now I wish I had. Instead, he started badgering me to pay a security deposit before even viewing the place (a friend would have viewed it on my behalf). Naturally, I refused. Our past 20 exchanges have been me asking for my $75 back, and him telling me to trust him and send him $200. I know the $75 is a write-off and its a lesson to not just beware of scammers but also to beware of the weirdos. Scammers act rationally, weirdos don't. I thought about either guilt-tripping him or threatening him with exposure, but I don't think its a good idea. $75 is not a life-changing amount. Weird people can be irrationally stubborn and react in crazy ways to provocation. 

No comments: