I went through photos from my time in journalism school yesterday ahead of the big reunion tomorrow. As I said, I have drifted apart from the people I hung out with the most and who also figure the most prominently in the photos. I reached out to the one person whom I am on the best terms with and asked if he was coming to the reunion, and he replied that he didn't even know there was one. ACJ was one of the best years of my life, the first time I found people I could relate to at a personal, intellectual and political level. I also felt smart for the first time in ages, after many years of feeling like a dullard in engineering college. One month of we graduated and dispersed to different corners of South Asia, I wrote this blog post, which is soaked in sappiness, and not much else. I cringe when I read it, but the blog was portentous. I had a strong sense that the previous year had been an somewhat exceptional period in my life. And, sure enough, I would have to wait another six years for another period in my life which was as magical. I might not be good at many things but I am good at maintaining friendships, and I remained in touch with many people from ACJ for years after we graduated. That changed only after I moved to Holland for my master's (another magical year) and most people drifted away, except for a core of heart friends. I will be meeting several people that I had lost touch with tomorrow, and some from the core as well. I am a sucker for nostalgia, so I am sure I will have a great time.
Friday, June 21, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment