This has been a week of no major calamity, but a lot of small mishaps. I've been a target of three rental scams this week, one partially successful. Two days ago, I had to cancel my London trip to a conference I was looking forward to because I had left too little time to reach the train station in the morning. I would still have made it if an Uber driver hadn't cancelled on me. The same day I got into a verbal altercation with a car driver who turned across my lance without signaling, He was so incensed that he turned his car around and followed me. He overtook me, and I thought he wanted me to stop to confront me. Luckily I was approaching the bike path turn-off, so I gave him the middle finger and disappeared on to the bike path. And, today, a lad on an e-scooter came hurtling towards me on the wrong side of the bike path. When I yelled "Watch out!", he swerved abruptly, skidded, and went tumbling down. I managed to stay on my bike, and stopped to make sure he was okay. A passing jogger saw what happened and stopped as well. It was clearly the lad's fault as he was looking at his phone while riding on the wrong side. He glowered at me, but there were no angry words exchanged. And, of course, my US visa didn't arrive, which means I won't be able to fly to India to surprise my parents on Monday. The longer it takes to arrive the longer I have to wait to visit India, and I might end up missing my journalism school reunion next weekend. The longer the wait, the more I will worry more that the visa has been rejected. A US visa rejection will not be the unmitigated disaster it would have been in normal times, though. The situation in Palestine has changed everything.
Saturday, June 15, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment