Friday, May 31, 2024

US Visa

When people ask me how I feel about my upcoming move to the US, I reply that I haven't given it much thought because my mind is occupied by events in and for Palestine. But, today, as I was filling up the US visa application form, which is a combination of inane (such as the name of the supervisor in y previous job) and creepy (such as my social media handles) questions, it hit me--this is a big change. Maybe it was the invasive question that I would never encounter in the UK, maybe it was because I was taking the first concrete steps towards my move. Maybe it was reading that a condition of my visa is I will have to spend two years in India after my visa expires, even if I marry a US citizen. The feeling that this may be a big change, but a temporary one. People say those whose who like living in the UK, tend not to like the US, and vice versa. The last person who told me this was my friend's mother. My life in the UK for the past few years has not been hunky-dory, even though there have not been any major mishaps. In the past few months, I have felt that I am ready for a change, but change is still a bit unnerving. 

No comments: