Thursday, September 21, 2023

Too Personal

 I was a very unprolific blogger in 2022, because I suddenly realised that my blog had become too much like a personal diary. I was embarrassed and it took me a while to get back to blogging even semi-regularly. Even now, I am not as prolific as I was pre-2022. I have previously compared my barely-read blog to singing in an open field with no one around vs singing in your head, which is akin to a personal diary. But, today's post is about whether or how much a blog like mine should be personal. It is a fact that over time, I feel more comfortable sharing more details about my life on this blog. But, the question is, as a blogger, do you owe anything to your readers, however few there may be? Shouldn't people who write on life (for lack of a more precise term of description) be open to baring at least a bit of their soul to their readers? Writers of fiction have the imagination and creativity to build characters and storylines that draw on their own lives, but go far beyond mere autobiography. What about those of us not similarly blessed? Do we owe it to our readers to be new or original? We may have depersonalised pearls of pure wisdom to drop from time to time, but few people are that wise. Don't we need to draw on our personal lives to keep our writing interesting, if not for anyone else than for ourselves when we go back and read our writing? Again, I don't mean simply using a blog as a confessional. I mean using personal experience as a starting point to at least try to say something profound. 

No comments: