Thursday, September 7, 2023

Ask, and You Shall Receive

 I never thought I would quote someone from Instagram, but here goes: "Ask, and you shall receive. At the very least, you shall receive an answer (no response is sometimes an answer too). If you never ask, you shall never know. A missed opportunity tight there. If there is something on your mind, if you have a lingering question or request, if you would like for support - GO FOR IT." Nothing very profound here, but it was delivered by an inspirational person: an Arab woman who took up mountaineering just a few years ago and has already climbed Everest and K2, and lost her father a few years ago. The quote struck a cord with me, and I found myself mouthing it when I was trying to decide to ask for something. There are many reasons one may not want to ask for what one wants or needs--embarrassment, pride, fear of rejection, loss of privacy, ridicule. I don't want to dismiss any of these reasons as irrational. Asking for something is an admission of need or vulnerability, which we may not be comfortable making to everyone or anyone. And, the situation, the timing and the manner of asking are all important. As is the ability to cope with an unfavourable response with grace and good cheer. But, on balance, I would say, asking, rather than keeping mum is the better strategy. Being able to communicate your needs makes it easier to admit that you need something in the first place. And, asking for something puts the onus on the universe for whatever happens next. At least, you don't keep kicking yourself for not asking until its too late. And, this piece of advice has served me well on the past few occasions. I have had a few favourable responses, some neutral, some unfavourable, but not a single time have I regretted asking.

No comments: