Monday, May 16, 2022
The Thwarted Prospect of Love
There are so many expressions for thwarted love, surely there should be some for the thwarted prospect of love? I went on a second date after aeons yesterday, and there was no spark of romance. Before the date, my head was in the clouds. I had me someone I fancied after ages, after all. But it turns out I fancied her in her absence. There had been a two-week gap between our first and second dates, and my loved-starved heart had filled up the gap with dreams of our life together. I realise this doesn't make me particularly naive or fanciful. A book I read recently had this quote from Proust: "We fall in love for a smile, a look, a shoulder. That, is enough; Then in the long hours of hope or sorrow, we fabricate a person, we compose a character'. Freud said projection is the essential character of every love. It had taken me more than that to fall--scintillating conversation with s super-smart and attractive woman on our first date. But, it was not to be, and I felt like a deflated balloon after the date. The conversation wasn't bad at all, but it did feel like both of us were going through the motions. Two people who seemed great together on paper, but not in person. The journey back to earth was a hard landing for me. The patch of earth that is my life has some craters in at the moment. Love was supposed to propel me out of those craters. I guess I will have to do that myself when I find the spirit and the time. So be it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment