Sunday, May 22, 2022

A Slip Is Not A Fall

 Today, I broke my self-imposed rule about how to deal with ghosters. I texted two people who had recently ghosted me. One I had barely chatted with and didn't terribly mind being ghosted by. The other I had met twice and did terribly mind being ghosted by. I had made up my mind not to text her, But I slipped. In my defence, I had a logistical excuse, albeit a flimsy one. I realised I had been waiting for even the weakest reason to text here again, and I jumped when said reason presented itself. What if there actually was a logistical issue? Seems silly to inadvertently end things with someone even if there is an one-in-million chance that logistical issues came in the way? Aww, the stories we tell ourselves. I realise I have ripped the band-aid off a wound that was healing well. Ghosters cannot be guilted into communication because ghosting someone requires an absence of guilt to some extent. If not replying to your first message doesn't make them feel guilty, you second message won't make them feel guilty either. You just feel like a tit for having tried.

But, I am trying not be too hard on myself. Sometimes, it is essential to feel like a tit so that hard lessons are reinforced. To accept that you will sometimes do things that you know are bad for you. But, a slip is not a fall. It is not going to take me another week to get over her. 

No comments: