Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Oven Fire (Almost)

 This evening, I was in my room when I heard my housemate call out to me. This is the housemate with whom my rapport has soured after he threatened to punch me a few months ago. We barely glance at each other, much less speak to each other, so I was a bit startled when he called out to me. But, then, he said he needed my help because the oven was on fire. I rushed down, thinking about what to do. Turns out the fire had gone out by the time I go the kitchen. He had thrown a ton of water on it, and had possibly been alarmed by the smoke. But, what surprised me was my reaction to this non-incident. I didn't start trembling with anxiety, and neither did I feel anger towards my housemate. The shades of the old Sudeep who was the person people turn to during a crisis. I would pride myself on keeping my nerve when the shit hits the fan. I am also hoping that this incident will serve as a reset for my relationship with my housemate. I found it a bit endearing to see how rattled he was. We live in a crazy world that is only going to get crazier, so how long can one hold on to grudges?

No comments: