Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Why Not Me?

 Today, I was listening to a radio with a woman who seemed to be a bereavement consultant as well as a sociologist of dying. Her story moved me to tears, but that wasn't all. She said people who work in these kind of jobs--funeral services, palliative care, etc-- lead life differently, love differently, etc. They understand that disaster can strike at any moment and change their lives. Since they see tragedy so closely, they do not ask the question  that most people do--"Why me?". They adopt the attitude of "Why not me?". Since they have seen tragedy up close, they relish the tragedy-free moments in their lives. I know that I make them sound like saints, but I suppose they are that, or they are just crazy. To do a job like that and to not lose your mind requires oodles of emotional resilience. But, the phrase that stuck with me, was "Why not me?"., to which there is no answer. I have had the good fortune of not having to "why me" about anything other than my nagging shoulder injury. Let's see if I can adopt the "Why not me?" attitude for at least this minor problem and whether it will help me cope with grace and foritude. 

No comments: