Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Teaching Goes Smoothly

My first day of lecturing went off quite smoothly, although towards the end of my third hour of lecturing, I was croaking because I was so hoarse. I wonder how Fidel Castro gave speeches that lasted hours. Vocal cords are not muscles that you can keep strengthening, right? Or, are  they? My throat was a little soar the next day too, and at time like these, a sore throat is a bigger bother than usual. But, at least I am done with lecturing for the week, and it all went smoothly. My non-lecturing hours were occupied by watching coverage of the fallout of Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah Winfrey, in which they claimed the palace refused to help Meghan when she was suicidal. Why was I so interested? It is not like I am enamoured with the British monarchy. Some leftists have criticised Meghan for marrying into an institution that is racist to the core and that she would be okay with it if they had treated her well. Other leftists said that how the tabloids cover Meghan is representative of how minorities, and minority women in particular, are viewed in British society. Which is why the media coverage of this issue is so triggering even for staunch non-monarchists. I suppose you have to live in Britain for a while to understand the role of the Royal Family and of the press in perpetuating racism  and the legacy of empire in British society. Both institutions feed of each other in vicious ways.

No comments: