Thursday, March 11, 2021

Listening to Myself

 I finally bit the bullet and listened to the video recording of my lecture. It turns out I don't sound half as articulate as I thought I did. Other things I picked up is I speak very slowly, I say "right?" a lot, taking after my Dad. But, the most surprising thing was that I sound half as energetic as I thought I did. My grandmother says I am a bumbler, and I have never believed her until yesterday, which was possibly the first time I listened to myself speak at length. Now, I know what Adrienne meant when she says she works a lot on her voice. Her voice is the perfect blend of calmness, enthusiasm, and energy and I try to channel my inner Adrienne while teaching, but I sound nothing like her. I suddenly have a newfound appreciation for voice training and voice-coaching. One thing that I am gong to try to do is consciously put more effort in talking. On the other hand, I don't want to obsess about it to the point that I am distracted from the content of my speech. 

No comments: