For the longest time, I have had a mental block against
novels written by Indian writers in English. One of my complaints was that
Indians writing in English appeared to feel the need to prove that they knew
the language well. The result was stilted and overwrought prose. This
might be still true of some Indian writers writing in English. But, it is
certainly not true of the best writing, if it ever was. Indians have made English
their own and, as the protests against Hindi hegemony show, it is the only language
that is widely spoken and acceptable to people across the length and breadth of
India. I don’t want to paint an overly optimistic picture of English’s place in
Indian society—fluency in English is a marker of class (and, hence, caste)
status. But, that is a discussion for another blog post. Despite all this, I haven’t
managed to overcome my reluctance towards reading Indian novels in English. The
novels feel like they are set in a foreign land, and I struggle to conjure up
the sights and sounds of the India I know from the writing. I say this as someone
who is much more fluent in English than in the two Indian languages I know, so it’s
a good thing I have no ambitions of writing a novel. Today, I just finished a
novel titled Cobalt Blue, originally written in Marathi, which is the Indian
language I am less fluent, even though it is my “mother tongue” (I am one of
the few Indians of my generation who has a different mother and father tongue).
I would have struggled to read the original, and I would have given up before I
realized what an amazing novel it is. I read the English translation, and found
myself translating some sentences back into imperfect Marathi. It is a searing story about love, loneliness and
loss set in Pune, my favourite Indian city. It spoke to me in a way that no
book has in a long time, and I can’t recommend it enough, especially to people
familiar with Pune and/or Maharashtrians. It has also spurred to seek out more
translated works from India.
Monday, September 29, 2025
Cobalt Blue
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment