The other day, I came cross a tweet that said "People
are still planning for futures that are connected to a world that doesn't exist
anymore". My first reaction was "My feelings exactly!" and my
next reaction was "What are they supposed to do instead?". The
Gramsci quote about the monster-filled interregnum between the dying old world
and not-yet-born new world rings true, but until the new world is born one can
only plan keeping the old world in mind. It is easy to slip into
despair at the state of the world, and it is also easy to romanticize despair.
One can continually come up more creative ways to express despair and feel very
smart for doing it. I know because I have done quite a bit of it in the past.
My favourite line, that I would trot out to anyone who would listen was “I am
smart enough to realise that most social science research is bull-shit, but not
smart enough to make original contributions. It has features in my blog here
and here in the past. I felt smart saying it, and I felt that it conveyed
humility, wit and self-awareness. On this blog, I have talked about it here and
here. Now, I think it is time to retire that line. It serves no purpose now, if
it ever did in the past. It is also a cop-out because it justifies inaction. If
the world is uncertain, if you are not too smart or too dumb, maybe the best
thing is to do nothing? I don’t mean to sound self-righteous. Expressing
despair can be cathartic and sometimes one needs to take a brake from action. But those should be explicitly stated choices
Sunday, October 12, 2025
Planning for futures
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment