Friday, July 19, 2024

My Professional Rut

This is a topic that I have spent countless hours thinking about. I have had conversations about with friends and a counsellor about how I was incredibly dissatisfied with my PhD, how it took me to a cynical place where I felt I was smart enough to see through the bull-shit of academia and academics but not smart enough to make original academic contributions. It took me a while but I realised that I had developed an impostor syndrome. And now I feel I have wrung this topic dry. There are no further insights to be gleaned, no truths waiting to be revealed. I have been given the change of scene and the fresh start that I feel I need. There is no point in the further introspection or rumination. The only thing to do is to approach this opportunity with an open mind and an open heart. Yes, the world is in turmoil, and, as academics we must play a part in changing it for the better. But, despair is an easy place to reach, and we have to take responsibility for our own happiness. The world will be what it will be. 

No comments: