I have spent the past two weeks meeting people to say goodbye, and its been heartening to realise that my community in Bristol is bigger than I had thought. I've also realised that it is possible to have people who take up space in your heart, but whom you barely ever see, even if you live in the same city. If you are single and childfree, chances are your availability is higher than people who are partenered and/or have children. It takes some time to get used to the fact that you can be friends with people whom you barely see, and accept that fact without bitterness. In the past week, I have met three people whom I hadn't seen in a year, one in more than two years. I had a deep conversation with one of them today on a topic that is too personal to write about on this blog. We had met eight years ago when I was in the pits, and his company had offered some solace. If I had continued to live in Bristol, who knows when we would have seen each other next? But, I am glad I reached out to him and the others even though we haven't been in touch.
Friday, July 26, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment