Saturday, September 20, 2025

Choosing the Right Therapist

Is it a wonder that an overthinker would overthink the task of finding a therapist to help them with overthinking (among other things)? Before this year, I had had therapy on two occasions. On the more recent one, it was because it was free (though not particularly useful). The first time was when I was at the lowest I had ever been, a period I call the Watershed year. That therapist was the second one I tried after having swiftly rejected the first one for being like a shiny automaton. With the second therapist, I instantly knew she was the right one for me, and, indeed, she was. Call it chemistry, call it intuition, call it a sixth sense, but I have never had that feeling about any therapist I have met since. However, a lack of chemistry may be a good enough reason to turn down a potential romantic interest, but one has to be more concrete if rejecting a therapist. Not just because the therapist deserves a better explanation, but because you owe it to yourself to think your reasons through. I questioned the approach of looking for chemistry in a therapist, which I deconstructed (in my case) to mean someone who vows with me with their intelligence and who is very articulate. I had decided that such an approach was shallow. But, in the end, I decided to change therapists, even though during our last session, the therapist dropped some intriguing insights about me. I realise that there is no perfect therapist, and one simply needs to find someone who is competent and compatible. But, I can’t help thinking that whatever choice I made, I would feel like it was the wrong one.

No comments: