Monday, May 5, 2025

Reading, Thinking and Writing

Close friends are those you can think aloud with. But, I don't have the energy to mediate on the nature of close friendships at the moment, so I am going to leave it at that. Yesterday, I was thinking aloud with a close friend, who is familiar with my writer’s block and super-extended struggles with motivation. I now have experience of academia in the US and UK. Far more knowledgeable people than me have written about how they are shitshows which are getting shittier year. There is nothing more I can add to that discussion, aside from corroboration with my personal experience. However, there are few professions that pay you to read, think and write. However, corrupted and contorted the original mission of academia is, it is still does offer opportunities to do that. Or at least, I can say my current circumstances give me that opportunity in ample measure. I have eloquently described my writer’s block to all those willing to listen, and frankly, those descriptions have started to feel forced and staid. It is time to try to write my way out of my writer’s block.


No comments: