Friday, May 16, 2025

Love on the Spectrum

 I have been watching a dating show recommended by a friend called Love On the Spectrum, and there is so to learn from it. In the first season, the conversations between the paticipants, all of whom are on the autism spectrum felt very stilted. I doubted any of them would end up together. But, most of the did, which got be thinking about a book that I am reading which talks about unconscious communication. One of the quotes I love is “we leak truths from our bodies all the time”. People like me place a lot of emphasis on good conversation. But, then we are often left wondering why we don’t feel drawn to some people we have good conversations with. People make you feel a certain way in their presence through their words but also their bodies. Often, we try to pin down the reason for the discomfort or bad vibes that we feel in our bodies from the presence of some people. Rationalizing a feeling is a fool’s errand, but it is difficult not to do.

And, its difficult not to love the participants of the show, even the men. The men are free of artifice and masculine conditioning and speak of their loneliness and insecurities in heartbreakingly frank ways.

No comments: