Monday, February 3, 2025

Running at -15C

This was my first time runnig at below -10C. My previous runs since I returned to Amherst were at the relatively balmy -2C to -4C. And, I was not prepared for -10C. My first mistake was to shed a layer too quickly. I galloped to the start of the group run because I was running late, and worked up a good sweat. It  At that point, shedding a my top layer and leaving it in the car of one of the group members seemed like a reasonable thing to do. But, as I had half-feared the group's pace was much slower than mine, and my body began to chill at a rapid pace. To make matters worse,, one of my laces came lose, and when I removed my gloves to tie them, I discovered a) my fingers were pretty numb and barely up to the task of tying my shoe laces 2) fingers expand in the cold, and its very difficult to put gloves back on in the cold. To be honest, I had learned this on one fo the balmier runs, but I had no other option. It was either that or run the risk of slipping on my own shoelaces. And, the most sure-footed runner would be bested by the combination of a loose shoelace and an icy patch. I don't know how I managed to tie my shoe-lace and carry on. Maybe beacuse I had to, because stopping in the middle of nowhere during a run in frigid conditions is not an option. And, in the last third of the race, my pacier running mate suddenly seemd to grow a new lung andset of at a scorching pace. I am significantly younger and longer-limbed than him but it was all I could do to keep up with him. And, on the icy patches he darted ahead like a prize figure-skater. We reached the end of the run not a minute to soon for me, adn then I discovered that I couldn't bend my fingers. My fingers had turned numb on the bike ride back from the supermarket yesterday so I thought I would regain sensation within a few mintes. Boy, was I wrong. After 10 minutes in my pacy friend's warm car, I began to worry if I had frost bite. Shortly after, we went inside a cafe and I had to ask a university colleague to pay for my coffee because I simply couldn't use my phone. The cafe itself felt quite cold and I didn't feel fully arm until I was in a hot shower back home. Even now, nearly 12 hours later my finger tips feel sore and sensitive to the touch. Its safe to say, I won't be running in these conditions any time soon.

No comments: