I first read Ruskin Bond's autobiography Lonefox Dancing when I was coming out the of the most difficult phase of my life seven years ago. The book helped solidify some of the truths I had accessed during my healing journey, and seemed like its perfect culmination. It fortified me for the dauting prospect of returning to England to resume my PhD studies, after having fled from there nearly a year ago. The book was as comforting presence on my bedside table for years, before I put it away. Two weeks ago, I picked up the book again during a difficult patch, and it didn't disappoint. I thought I would write another of my "book raves", but then I went back and read my blog post about it, which I had written seven yearas ago. But, it turns out I don't have anything substantial to add to that rave ( I sometimes feel like my blog posts during the first few years were full of wise insights, and now I am emptied of wisdom. But that is a post for another day). The world has never been a kind place to sensitive people, and the patriarchy makes the path to wholeness especially tricky for straight men. But, one can and must make peace with one's nature, and learn to thrive. To aid in that process, Ruskin Bond's autobiography is as good a guide as any I have come across. And, it is sprinkled with just enough humour to leaven this oh-so-serious process.
Tuesday, February 18, 2025
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment