Warning: this post is a bit of a rant. Today was Day 3 in the US, and I should say I am not a fan yet. Our memories tends to gloss over difficult bits, but I don't remember settling into the UK being so difficult. Firstly, moving from a city with a vibrant cycling culture like Bristol to the US was always going to be a shock, even in liberal Massachussets. Maybe it will pick up when the uni year beings but there are so few cycles to be seen on the roads. I came with the intention of buying a bike almost immediately, but I am beginning to have second thoughts. Secondly, simple grocery stuff like fruit and yoghurt is not easy to find even in downtown areas of the small town I am in. I had to go to a bougie deli to buy yoghurt and fruit. It definitely seems like eating healthy is going to be a challenge in the US. Thirdly, I have had to wade through a crazy amount of paperwork to join this position. IT feels like everyone in the US is so scared of getting sued that they make paperwork to cover every eventuality. Fourthly, setting up house is not going swimmingly well. I picked up the keys to my apartment today. It is a very pleasant apartment and quite roomy too. But, my joy and relief at seeing the apartment was tempered when I checked my Amazon account to follow up on my bed and matress orders, I learnt that they had been delivered yesterday and the day before. I had not received messages to say that they were out for delivery or had been delivered. Just a while back, I got a message saying that the pillows I had ordered had been dispatched. Trust Amazon to treat a pair of pillows with more care than a bed and mattress. A bed and a mattress are not easy to either pilfer or dispose off so I suppose they are lying in a storage shed, hopefully undamaged. I realise these are all just teething troubles. 72 hours is too little time to form a judgement about a place and I just have to be patient.
Friday, August 2, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment