Sunday, January 21, 2024

Everything Is As it Should Be

My youtube yoga guru Adrienne has a penchant for delivering disarmingly simple yet profound quotes. At the start of the pandemic, I pinned some of them on the wall above my desk to bolster me. I have written about them here. But, one quote of hers that I have always recoiled from is 'Everything is as it should be". She says it in here cozy Winter yoga video, which is one of my favourite practices that I do only during autumn/winter. Everything is obviously not as it should be, and never is. If one were to pick the present moment, the war in Gaza, the rise of fascism, climate catastrophe are just a few examples. But, today, as I came across the quote during practice it landed differently. I felt like the quote was targeted at my inner world where everything is always as it should be. Why is that the case? Because the mind is either in one or two states. Either it is calm, or it is aware that its not calm. There are several ways to deal with the latter state. Take action, talk oneself out of the funk  or do nothing or wait for the storm to blow over. Tacked on to this maxim is the acknowledgement that the world works in mysterious ways and that sometimes blessings can, at first glance, seem like curses. I don't know how much sense I am making but these are my initial thoughts on the subject and may need to be fleshed out further. 

No comments: