Sunday, December 3, 2023

Poor Student Feedback

 I have been asking my unit directors to share student feedback in the hopes that I find some positive comments that I could include in a job app. Very few comments mention me by name, and there were some mildly positive comments. But, there was one that was decidedly not so--it said that my "teaching and presentation style were very poor and difficult to engage with". Ouch! I definitely won't be including that one. But, it does sting because this is the first time getting such a poor comment about my teaching. I don't consider myself a great teacher, and to be honest, for reasons that I won't be getting into right now, I haven't felt very motivated towards my teaching or research over the past few years. But, I have always thought of myself as an above-average teacher, even in my low-motivation phase. And, the bit about presentation hurts particularly badly since I am a former journalist and supposed to be a great presentation. In my defense, the unit that invited this comment, is not in my area of research, and I didn't get much guidance from the lecturer when creating the lecture content. I was not very satisfied with the lecture content, but couldn't be arsed to change it for the second year that I taught it. The good news is my low-motivation phase appears to be ending, and everyone needs a wake-up call from time to time. I have been coasting and half-arsing in this job for a while now, and eventually one has to buck up or find something else to do. I have decided to stick with this profession and buck up. 

No comments: