Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Double trouble

When I got home yesterday and turned the light switch on, nothing happened. My throat had been itching all day and I was looking forward to a peaceful evening. I mentally prepared myself to go early to bed as without power on a winter night, there is absolutely nothing you can do. Luckily, it was a minor problem which got resolved within 30 minutes. Today, with my throat still feeling scratchy, I was looking forward to an early evening after meeting some people over drinks. And, as I and another person from the group got on out cycles, I discovered that my front tire was flat. Not a good day for a flat tire, and home would be at least a 90 min walk away on a cold evening. I toyed with taking the punctured tire on the bus with me, and leaving my bike behind, but that would mean another trek tomorrow morning. So, I decided to op my earphones and drag my bike all the way home. The not-so-good thing about walking your puncture bike on a cycle path is watching cyclists with intact tires whizz by you. But, today that was not the only sight. A pair of runners overtook me and I saw that they were tied to each other by their wrists. Shortly, another similarly tethered pair overtook me and I saw that one of them had 'blind runner' and the other had 'Guide runner' written on their backs. That sight filled me with a warm glow. Its wasn't just seeing someone worse off than me on a bad day. It was seeing someone worse off living their best life. As someone born with poor eyesight, losing my eyesight has always been one of my biggest fears. SO, it felt good to know that even if I lose my eyesight, it needn't stop me from running. 

No comments: