Ever since the conflict began, I have been struggling to find books or TV to distract me. after a lot of scrolling, I found a WW2 documentary that serializes the most important events. I watched the episode on the siege of Stalingrad, and wasn't pleasantly surprised to see that it did not paint Russian officers as nasty brutes with no concerns for their own soldiers, as many Hollywood movies do. I then watched the other episodes, starting from the Nazi Blitzkreig and up to the fire-bombing of Dresden. The echoes with today's situation were unmistakable, with the difference being that Churchill apparently shed tears at the scale of civilian deaths, something which Western leaders today are steadfastly avoiding. I realise I sound incredibly self-involved, but I can't help thinking about what drew me to this docu series at this point in time. To be reminded that the world did not stop turning even after a war that was exponentially larger than any we have seen before or since?
Thursday, November 2, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment