Sunday, November 5, 2023

Leafletting and Leading Chants

My activism has progressed to the next level. On Friday evening, I handed out flyers in Bristol city centre for Satruday's march. I was prepared for some pushback from Zionists, but barely got any. A young chap said Fuck You, but so softly that he probably meant only his companion to hear it, and they both burst out laughing. Another man refused a leaflet, explaining almost apologetically that he was Israeli. Many people took a leaflet willingly, some simply ignored me, and others declined politely, Being an activist requires having or building a thick skin and a lot of patience with people. I didn't think I had either attributes (although I am patient with my students). 

The next day was the bike ride, which was great. A bike ride allows you to cover a lot of distance, and is a different visual spectacle compared to a march. The response was overwhelmingly positive, except for a few irate drivers. But, you never know whether they are annoyed at you for being pro-Palestinian or blocking traffic. I also led chants for the first time in my life, and made all the associated rookie mistakes. I went too loud, too early and soon found myself croaking. A friend who is a veteran of protests said the trick is to chant from the stomach rather than the throat, whatever that means. When you are leading a chant, you are always afraid that no one else will take up that chant, and make you look like a fool. It helps if you pick a moment when the chanting has slowed down and don't try to compete with other leaders.

No comments: