Thursday, July 27, 2023

Dating Casually

I have written before about the need to change the vocabulary of online dating and to stop using terms that treat it like a game., That was five years ago, pre-Covid, pre-cost-of-living-crisis and when climate catastrophe was a distinct possibility but not staring us in the face. Since then the world of online dating seems to have become more fraught, and harder to navigate if you are a sensitive soul who gets easily attached. What do I mean by that? People seem to have become more fickle, its more common to have nice conversations end abruptly for no apparent reason and everyone seems to be suffering from dating fatigue. So, today's post is about casually and whether it is a good strategy (strategy is a word I use consciously). The concept of casual dating is now new and could mean various things. It could be taking things very slowly and keeping the option of seeing other people open. If you choose that option, being upfront about it. The goal of casual dating may be to meet the person you want to commit to. It could also be a precursor to ethical non-monogamy, which is a concept I am curious about, even though I don't think its for me. You may or may not be sleeping with the people you are dating casually, but sex and romance are still on the cards--these are not platonic relationships even if they might turn into that in the future. Casual dating seems to be a good choice for emotionally resilient people with a full life, who desire a high degree of autonomy. But, is it a good choice for sensitive souls who get attached very easily as a way to not get too attached to a single person? To hedge their bets, as a crude as the term sounds? I increasingly think so. There is, of course, no excuse for dishonesty or mind games. But, aren't sensitive souls incapable of mind games, even if they can end up hurting people without meaning to do so? 

No comments: