I got an email from a student over the weekend whose research proposal I had graded. He had not understood my comments, and after reading his email I didn't understand what he hadn't understood. Neither did I understand his other questions. He is clearly not a native speaker of English, but things are not much better with those who are. As a former journalist, I take great pains to ensure that my communication is clear and comprehensible. And, as a teacher, one has to take great pains to try to understand what students are saying or writing. It does feel like a futile task because comprehension doesn't seem to a consideration for most people when they communicate. They don't try to put themselves in the shoes of their reader and read back their communication. A few weeks ago, I read a tweet about how obfuscation is a handy tool of the intellectually lazy. If people can't understand what you are saying, and you have some standing, they will keep mum. but, if they can understand what you are saying, they can see the merits and faults more clearly. Clarity and intellectual rigour are intertwined. That is all very nice, but how does this stop me from tearing my hear out when communicating with students? I suppose I should learn not to expect them to understand everything I say. That is not an excuse to write gibberish., just a reminder to cut myself some slack.
Tuesday, April 19, 2022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment