I thought I had blogged about how swimming is unnaturally
difficult for me because I am among the minority of the population that are
sinkers, but it turns out I have just talked about it a lot. Apparently, most
people are floaters, whose bodies don't sink to the floor like stones in water.
Swimming coaches say sinkers shouldn't feel too bad because it just menas they
have low body fat and/or high bone density. But, that is scant comfort to
someone thrashing about in the water. I have had swiming lessons twice in
my life---once when I was about 12 and the second time a few months ago. I
could swim after the first set of lessons, but I can't swim to save my life.
The chief lesson that I learnt during my second set of swimming lessons was to
use a nose guard to prevent wqater from entering my nose. And I got that from a
youtube video, not the swimming coach. When you are bad at something there are
only two things to do--make epace with the fact or practice. I have made
temporary peace with the fact that I am bad at swimming. But, in recent days, I
have been reminded of another activity that I am bad at--reverse and parallel
parking. I am a decent-enough driver, but when it comes to moving backwards, my
brain freezes (which probably means I am not a decent-enough driver). I am
twrribel at reverse parking, but fortunately, they dont' test that skill. I
feel like people who reverse park are showing off because there are very few
situations where you need to. But, they do test parallel parking, and the first
time I practiced it a few days ago, I wasn't so bad.I got it right the first
couple of time, hit the curb the next few times, and then got it right again.
But, this evening, I must have practiced the manoeuvre ten times, and just got
it right once. No matter what I tried, I just couldn’t land it. Ouch! The thinking
mind knows that failing a driver’s test is no big deal, and that I should just
take driving lessons before trying next time. But, the animal mind is a different
beast, so cue a bit of anxiety. So, there is one other thing you can do when
you are bad at something, in addition to acceptance and practice. You can laugh
at yourself, lighten the mood, take the pressure off.
Monday, June 30, 2025
Swimming and Parallel/Reverse Parking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment