As the drums start to beat more loudly for war with Iran, a
lot of commentators are pointing to the similarities with the spring of 2003,
ahead of Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld’s war with Iraq. I had just finished two listless
years of high school or what they call ‘junior college’ in Mumbai. All parents believe
their children are uniquely capable, but none more so than Indian parents, so I
had I been coaxed to prepare for the notoriously difficult entrance test to India’s
premier engineering colleges, despite having neither the talent or the inclination
for it. Being the news junkie that I still am, the top-most thing
on my mind was the build-up to the invasion of Iraq. I remember the telecast of
the infamous UN security Council session where US lies about Iraq’s Weapons of
Mass Destruction were given the imprimatur of evidence. Colin Powell, the least
hawkish and the most dignified member of Bush’s inner circle, was trotted out to
lie. The picture of him holding up vials to demonstrate Iraq’s chemical weapons
capabilities is the defining image of war propaganda in the post-9/11 era. I
remember my father scoffing at my grandfather, who believed the evidence
presented by Powell to be credible. Even to the then-18-year-old me the
evidence felt like something someone could just make up. Lessons are never
learnt because no one—not Bush and Blair and their respective cabinets, not
media pundits, not the New York Times--paid a price for lying about Iraq. Powell was the only person to express public
contrition and banish himself from public life.
Wednesday, June 18, 2025
Spring 2003 Energy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment