I started a clowning class two months ago, and because this
is such an eminently bloggable topic, I kept putting off writing about
it. Today, was the last class. My feelings about clowning have waxed and
waned, ever since a friend asked if I wanted to accompany her to the class. My
initial reaction was a strong No, but on further reflection I decided to take
the plunge. My reasons were to learn to get out of my head, become less self-conscious
and to become more comfortable with silliness. I remember family stories about
my infectious laughter when I was a child, and I was curious to see if that
part still lived inside of me. My initial enthusiasm was stoked by the novelty
of it, and how people’s eyes would light up with curiosity and admiration when
I told them I was doing a clowning class. It’s a cool thing to do, and trust me
to come up with the language to make it sound cooler when explaining it to
someone else. A friend also recommended a book about laughter which had a section
on clowning, and I lapped it all up. But, as the last class progressed I began
to find it increasingly tedious. I didn’t like my clown and didn’t particularly
enjoy clowning. Until today. Our class was interrupted by a group of elder
clowns in costume, who were more advanced students of the instructor. And, boy were
they good. They all had very different characters, and such great characters
they were. They performed for us as a group, and then we performed for them
individually, and then we paired up with them and performed as a duo. This is
not going to be my last post about clowning, but for now I am going to end this
post by saying that their delightful interlude has inspired me to carry on
clowning.
Tuesday, June 10, 2025
Send in the Clowns
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment