Monday, April 21, 2025
Clouds Parting
A couple of weeks ago, the US had started to seem like a basket case. Those of us without strong ties to the US had started to think about how long we could continue living like this. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to return to India without a job or clear career prospects, right? But, over the past few days, I have started to feel more optimistic. Signs that the fascist juggernaut has started to sputter are there if one is prepared to countenance the possibility. Students who were expected to meekly accept their visa revocations are starting to fight back in the courts and talking to the media. Harvard, not an instution known for rocking the boat, refused to bend the President's demands. And, who would have ever thought Republican senators from Bible belt states would get heckled in town halls for doing nothing to stop the reverse the deportation of a Latino men. So, maybe it is these signs of the growing backlash to fascism, maybe I am adjusting to the new reality of a precarious immigration status, maybe I am recoginzing that one cannot remain suspended in a state of despair for an indefinite lenght of time and one must get on with one's life. But, my angst levels have definitely reduced over the past few days. But, as many people have said, hope is a muscle that helps bring new realities into being.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment