I wrote eysterday about how I am feeling better after the election. Maybe there is a bit of scahdenfruede to it--let liberals feel some of the misery and despair that we have been feeling for the past 13 months. And, liberals are making to so easy to feel biter against them., pretending that everything was hunky-dory before Nov. 5, just as Zionists pretend everything was hunky-dory in Israel-Palestine before Oct 7 last year. On an alumni group, people were commiserating with each other about Trump's victory, trotting out bromides about keeping hope and faith. I was mildly annoyed, but I blew my top when someone cited a post-election speech by Biden as inspiration. And, then there was talk at uni today by a black scholar turned celebrity pundit. He is clearly a smart guy and a great orator, and he was going to talk about the inimitable James Baldwin. His talk was bearable, because most of it was quotes of James Baldwin, and he even broke down in one place. I don't mean to be derisive. I will never understand what life is like for Black people in America. But, someone of his stature and platform should offer more than platitudes. No one expects a regular on cable news channels to call for a socialist revolution, but surely he could have played it less safe than he does on TV. The subsequent "Q&A" session was mdoerated bya careerist dean who had shorn all the questions of any political content, and turned them into vapid non-questions. And, in response poured at a sea of cliches from the eminent Eddie Glaude--"you contain multitudes", "Allow people to ofer you colours, but never give up your brushes, you paint the canvas of your life". It sounded like a low-effort Ted Talk. After his speech, I joined in the standing ovation, ut after the Q&A I was one of the only able-bodied people who remain fimrly seated. My white colleague who I later learnt also disliked the talk joined in the standing ovation, and if I were white. I would probably have jioned too. The optics of a white man showing ambivalence towards a black luminary are not great. Then again, if I had been black I might not have joined in the first standing ovation either. Before I decided to remain seated, I thought of my Mom, who is one of the most courageous people I know in my peronsal life. I remember we were in the audience at my elder sister's sports meet at school. I must have been around nine or 10. As the millionaire founder of our school walked by to take his seat in the VIP area, all the parents in the audience stood out of respect. My mom and her friend remain seated. My staunchly communist Mom told me "I have no respect for him".
Friday, November 8, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment