When the clocks went forward earlier this year, I was in the UK and anxious about my job prospects, as well as the continnuing war in Gaza. A few days after writing the post, I received news that I had been accepted to the post-doc position in the US, so a lot has happened in the past few months. The move to the US, the new job, dealing with unending US paperwork, the stress and excitement of setting up my own apartment for the first time in my life. Staring to feel excited about economics again, before events in the Middle East took a turn for the worse (which no one thought was possible). All in all, big changes on the personal front as well as on the world front as well as the perpetual struggle to find purpose in one's own work while the world bruns. And by changes on the personal front, I also mean changes to how I view the world and my place in it, and my willingness to play a part, however small, in building a world I want to live in. Most of us in the Palestine solidarity movement have been irrevocably changed over the past year or so. I am not the person I was a year ago, and never will be, which, I think, on the whole, is for the better.
Looking forward, in two days, we have US elections. We will find out if we are to be ruled by a genocidal fascistis corporate shill or a genocidal neocon corporate shill. It has been difficult to focus for the past week or so, and who knows what the near and not-so-near future holds. But, as Adrienne says, some traditions are not meant to be broken, so I did her cozy winter yoga practice, which I always do on the day the clocks go back. And, of course, this post is also part of that tradition. Following these traditions gives a feeling of morring in a rapdily changing world. Whatever happens, everyday life will have to go on even as great events intrude on it. The mundane and the momentous will have to co-exist.
No comments:
Post a Comment