I try not to judge people who don't come along on protests for Palestine or don[t even express support on social media. I didn't participate in the uni lecturer strikes, so I can hardly afford to be sanctimonious myself. But, some level of judgement on my part does creep in, and a conversation yesterday served as a useful check for that. At a public meeting for Palestine late last year, an elderly white lady next to me asked why more black people did not show up for Gaza. I was discomfitted by her remark, but did not respond because I didn't have the words to articulate my discomfort. Maybe because I had wondered myself why more black people don't show up at these protests. Yesterday, during a conversation with a colleague who is black, I realised why? I may not be white, but neither am I black or Muslim. I have not had any unsavoury encounters with the police. in the UK. White Brits are the most privileged, and hence, protected group in the UK, so the question should be why are more white people not showing up.
Saturday, March 2, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment